Nutella-Stuffed, Brown Butter & Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies. Just.. stop, right?! With every word you read in that title, the better the little treats sound. And the more devilish they seem. It is really no joke, these cookies are truly a mouthful of indulgence and delectableness!
The cookie batter uses a gently browned butter dough beaten to fluffy peaks with scoops of dark brown sugar, then stuffed with a dollop of Nutella spread.
Needless to say, whatever it is you’re doing at this moment (scrolling online? Responding to emails? Working hard?), it’s time to give in to more important, critical things… like creeping on these cookie pics! Lurk and cookie-creep away my friends because these cookies are pretty darn worth it for the ol’ eyes to feast on!
Now take a moment to imagine what a bite of these soft, chocolate-laden cookie-medallions might taste like fresh out of the oven.. Yes pretty jaw-droppingly great. The cookies have molten Nutella centres that melt into richly flavoured brown-butter cookie dough. To finish things off, each cookie has a sprinkling of sea salt on their crispy tops to give a sharp kick and keep you on your toes. Pour yourself a glass of cold milk and dream of these divine nuggets!
I know what you’ll be doing when you get home from work today. Either you’re a) going to raid the cookie pantry or b) going to plan an emergency cookie stop en route. Shh your secret’s safe with me. (No guilt!)
It’s been a while since the last post, and I couldn’t think of a better treat to share than this delicious cookie recipe. Do you have any habits you do to relax and get your mind off a busy calendar, work schedule or a tough day? For me, I like to bake to release stress. (Big surprise, right?) If it’s any sign of how busy things have been lately, yesterday after coming home from work my Dad asked what goodie was waiting for him in the kitchen! What a lucky guy..!
While cooling on the rack, these cookies fill your home with a comforting, buttery aroma. That is thanks to the hazelnut spread used in this recipe! Are you a Nutella fan as well? Can’t get enough? I was introduced to the chocolate hazelnut spread in high school, and can still remember enviously looking on as some kids enjoyed white bread Nutella sandwiches in comparison my daily ham and lettuce…
Since those early days, Nutella has moved on from the breakfast table and lunch box to become a worldwide hit in all sorts of recipes! I can’t think of a better way to delve into the world of Nutella baking than with this wonderful recipe.
Nutella-Stuffed Brown Butter + Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen cookies. Bake: 350 F. Chill Time: 2 hours in refrigerator.
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoon of salt 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter 1 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 1 jar of Nutella, chilled in refrigerator Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and set aside. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. The butter will begin to foam and whisk consistently during this process. After about 5 minutes the butter will begin to brown on the bottom of the saucepan so continue to whisk and remove from heat as soon as the butter begins to brown and give off a nutty aroma. Immediately transfer the butter to a bowl to prevent burning. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
2. With an electric mixer, mix the butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Beat in the egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt until combined. Add the dry ingredients slowly and beat on low-speed just until combined. Gently fold in all of the chocolate chips.
3. Chill your dough for 2 hours in the refrigerator, or place in freezer for 30 minutes if you are super eager, although I cannot promise the same results if you do this.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Once dough is chilled measure about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Flatten the dough ball very thinly into the palm of your hand. Place 1 teaspoon of chilled nutella in the middle and fold dough around it; gently roll into a ball — it doesn’t have to be perfectly rolled! Make sure that the nutella is not seeping out of the dough. Add more dough if necessary. Place dough balls on cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and flatten with your hand VERY gently. (Really only the tops need to be flattened a bit!)
5. Bake the cookies 9-11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. They will look a bit underdone in the middle, but will continue to cook once out of the oven. Cool the cookies on the sheets at least 2 minutes. Sprinkle with a little sea salt. Remove the cooled cookies from the baking sheets after a few minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
Recipe Credit: Ambitious Kitchen.
Enjoy your little Nutella cookie treats! They might even make a lovely treat to pack up for your Mama this Sunday whether she’s near or far! Don’t forget to tie that package with a pretty ribbon just for her (trust me she’ll love it).
I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead enjoying some time spent with your lovely Mom on Sunday. What are your plans? Maybe you’re going to enjoy a good hang out with your family or a long FaceTime chat. I am looking forward to joining my Mama in the garden for some veggie planting on Sunday!
This month I’m participating in a challenge to spend at least 30 minutes outdoors every day. It’s David Suzuki’s 30 x 30 Challenge to get people out and about more. Amen! If you’re interested, here’s a link to David Suzuki’s 30x3o challenge. It’s never too late to jump on the band wagon!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead full of spring bike rides, good eats and some musings of summer adventures coming up…
PS: Life just got easier for all Nutella Lovers.
PPS: I love this graphic.