With Cocoa Buttercream Frosting
News update: Today, January 27th is National Chocolate Cake Day! Could it be true!? According to this article from the Daily Meal, it is a cold hard fact. I know..Best Monday cheer-up. Probably ever!
Our friends down south may have coined this as their national day, but Canadians are never ones to miss out on the party. I don’t think we can one-up the Americans on this incredible idea! If you can’t beat em, join them, right? Happy Chocolate Cake Day to you!! Now go celebrate with some cake. (You have an excuse!)
Are you a fan of chocolate? I have to join the club and say it is one of my favourite flavours on this planet. I love it. Today’s recipe takes the rich, fudgey goodness of chocolate and pairs it with an unusual match- zucchini. Yes! Oh, Zuchs-alors!
I don’t know what it is, but something outstanding happens when zucchini and chocolate match up. The cupcakes turn out to be so..moist. (Apologies, I hate that word.) They really are though! Gooey, moist and rich.
Perhaps here’s why: Zucchinis are vegetables that are comprised of approximately 95% water! The remaining 5% of the squashy vegetable’s nutritional content is a healthy dose of manganese, vitamin C and fibre. Mmm mm! Throw them in the mixing bowl already, right?!
I think it’s the hydrating quality of zucchinis in particular, along with their gentle zestiness that makes them such a perfect choice for baking. You can even kid yourself that your baking is “healthy!” (And feel less guilty when you take two goodies from the platter… oh well it’s National Chocolate Cake Day. So there!)
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes
Yield: 1 dozen large cupcakes. Bake: 350 F, 35 minutes.
1 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup melted butter 3/4 cup oil 3 eggs 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 cup buttermilk 2 cups grated zucchini 1 cup chocolate chips 2 cups all purpose flour 1 cup cocoa, sifted 1/2 tsp salt 2 tsp baking soda 1 tsp allspice 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease large muffin tins and line with muffin cups. 2. In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, butter and oil. Beat in the eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini and chocolate chips. 3. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dries and mix until well combined. Spoon batter into large muffin pans. Bake in the centre of the oven for 35 minutes., or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack, while preparing the icing. Recipe Credit: Rebar Cookbook Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes by Audrey Alsterberg and Wanda Urbanowitz
Cocoa Buttercream Frosting
1 cup unsalted butter 3-4 cups icing sugar sifted 1/4 tsp salt 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted. 1 tbsp vanilla extract 4 tbsp heavy cream
Directions:1. Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed. Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been blended into the butter into a creamy, fluffy form. Add sifted cocoa powder in same fashion. 2. Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes. If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time. 3. Using a spatula, place icing in a decorating bag fitted with an oversized cupcake tip. I used Ateco 826. Slide icing down to bottom of the bag, and twist top of bag to seal. . Gently swirl icing from outside in. Here’s a great tutorial! Recipe Credit: Savory Sweet Life
I hope you have a wonderful week ahead full of your own little reasons to celebrate. What are you up to? I will be busy with the regular routine, but first things first I need to find a way to get rid of these chocolate treats! I am considering mimicking this fine fellow to make deliveries… New Blue Owl Venture? What do you think!?
PS: I saw Her last night and loved it. What an unusual, yet oddly plausible premise for a movie. Did you like it? Then, later in the evening I stumbled across Jonah Hill‘s parody of the movie and died. He calls it “Me”…
PPS: Guess what, Last Friday, January 23rd was Blue Owl’s Anniversary! A whole year of blogging, hard to believe. I can’t wait for what’s in store for the year ahead. Thank you so much for visiting, checking in and for the endless support!
PPPS: Do you use Songza? I’ve been listening to this playlist on repeat!